Sunday Scribblings~~Dear Diary

Dear Diary,

I am boycotting any back-to-school sales. I refuse to buy new shoes and pencils. There will be no new spiral-bound lined paper. There will be no backpacks and locker mirrors. I will stay home and watch the seasons change from my backyard. Counting the time with the falling leaves.

It isn't really fair. Didn't the school year just end? It seems just yesterday I was signing yearbooks (K.I.T.) and telling people that I would see them...that we would have lunch, or coffee... I never meant it. I just wanted to enjoy the summer and not be bothered by everyone else. I wanted sun and warmth and outdoor fires and relaxing. I wanted to shed the people I talk to all year and just have quiet.

The summers, these glorious summers are just mine. Quiet mornings, late nights, sitting in the yard and doing nothing but reading and throwing a ball for the dogs. Looking skyward to see the horizon pink and be able to sit on the front steps and actually wait for the sun to go down. But it doesn't last. Pretty soon, the sun is going down earlier and the air in the morning is cooler, (The past two mornings I have had to wear socks to keep my feet warm! UGH! I hate socks!) and that means autumn is coming. And then Thanksgiving, the snow, and Christmas.

I have one day left. One day left of my summer, my vacation, my true break. What do I do with it?

Oh, and P. S. It was sunny today, we had a barbecue, and I had a veggieburger with pickles and some cake. It was good. I liked it.

Comments

Becca said…
As a teacher, I can certainly relate to this feeling! I hope you enjoyed your "last day of summer vacation!" I still have a couple more weeks - whew!
I too am a teacher and I too have somewhat similar feelings about my vacations.
Rob Kistner said…
Variety in experience, breaking the familiar -- it makes us better at all we do. Nice post!
Robin said…
My children are heading back to school at the end of the month, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the summer has gone... Thankfully we still have at least another 6-8 weeks of summer weather to ease and soften that back to school transition.
Fledgling Poet said…
Aww, my heart goes out to you as the summer ends and you must prepare yourself to get back in the class room! Your summer sounded wonderful and relaxing...it is so healing to the spirit to just breathe and do nothing sometimes. Good luck with the upcoming school year!
Herb Urban said…
My sister in law is a teacher as well, and she expressed very similar thoughts just yesterday.

Sounds like you had a wonderfully relaxing summer. Sorry it was so short. Autumn is a beautiful time of the year, the way the leaves turn brown and orange and the crispness in the air. Hope you can take solace in the natural beauty about to be all around you.

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs love collard greens?!?!

Traveling Life

Homemade Pie Weights